We know that it is important to you to keep you and your family healthy, but where do you start? To help you make the right decisions about what to eat, we are taking the guess work out of healthy eating! With our Eat Well Live Well programme, we’re making it as easy as possible for you.
As a response to the confusion about nutritional content, and in line with leading global trends, Tiger Brands has implemented an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand nutritional labelling system on all our product packaging.
Every Tiger Brands food product provides you with a Guideline Daily Amount (GDA) table on the packaging that tells you exactly how much of the high-risk nutrients you are eating.
GDAs note the amounts of nutrients in food that you and your family need to limit in your diet (i.e. Salt, Sugar, Fat, Saturates and Energy). You should aim to keep below your GDA as it is not a target you have to reach. When you calculate your GDA, you will begin to understand what it is that you are putting into your body and how you can benefit from eating healthy foods.
What does Eat Well Live Well symbol mean for you?
- Whilst all Tiger Brands products carry the Easy-Reference GDA Table, only those Tiger products that adhere to specific nutritional criteria are accredited the Eat Well Live Well Symbol that will appear on the front of the pack.
- Whenever the Eat Well Live Well (EWLW) Symbol appears on a Tiger Brands product, it is to inform you that the product is either high in a nutrient that should be boosted in your diet (like fibre and antioxidants) or low in a nutrient that should be reduced in your diet (like salt).
- When you see our stamp of approval, you can be sure that you are making make better choices for you and your family
Benefits of the EWLW program (both GDA table and EWLW symbol):
- To show commitment and empathy Tiger Brands’ consumers, Tiger Brands have designed a program to help you take the guesswork out of healthy eating. Good nutrition is important for many reasons; not only to help you live a healthy lifestyle, but also helps you consume a healthy diet.
- The programme helps to drive education around making better-eating choices so as to reduce the incidence/prevalence of the major non-communicable diseases, which contribute substantially to the global burden of disease, death and disability (WHO, 2004), including: cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, certain types of cancer
- Takes the hassle out of healthy shopping. By looking for the EWLW logo and the GDA table, you are able to know what is healthy and the value of the nutritional content in a packaged product
- Helps you make the right choices
For more information about the Eat Well Live Well programme; please visit the dedicated website at: www.ewlw.co.za